Sunday, September 7, 2008

Venezuelan Arepas

I really do not have a favorite food, because I am not a food lover. I eat for living but I don’t live for eating. However I want to talk about one food that is special in my country and the name is Arepa.

What is Arepa? The Arepa is a thick tortilla made with corn flour. The arepa can be roasted or fried and It is eaten stuffed with jam, cheese, eggs, beans or what each person like. The Arepa is perfect for brakfast but in Venezuela we eat Arepa in every moments and in diferents ways. At lunch time we eat Miniarepas, it is a small Arepa that we eat in replecement of bread. At night we can eat Arepas for dinner or if we go to a bar, when we leave of there, we can go to a place called arepera where we can eat arepas 24 hours a day.

In Venezuela we eat Arepas always even in parties, at the beach, or wherever we want. The Arepa is a cheap food and is really easy to make, the only thing that we have to do is mix the flour with water and then mold the arepa and put it in the grill for 10 minutes. The Arepa is an every day food. In Venezuela is our national food and when we leave from our country the thing that we miss is the Arepa, because we are used to eat Arepas every day.

Finally I want to say that the Arepa is a healty food and even healthier than bread, because corn flour is better than wheat flour.

1 comment:

Anna said...

Wow, that really makes me want to try it. Hopefully I get the chance to sometime!